Photobucket
Photobucket

Saturday, June 16, 2012

To the Dads in My Life - Happy Father's Day

First of all I am grateful for my dad. He is one of those encouragers - always teaching, always giving opportunities for growth. From the time I was small he taught me the most interesting things - from how a darkroom works to all kinds of other scientific and historic things. He helped me get my first job, setting type for an offset press at the local print shop. His love of printing, layout, photography, newsletters, etc. can be seen in all the photographs he took and has since scanned and made digital much to the enjoyment of all of us.When Dad's office upgraded to a Selectric typewriter he made sure that I got the old electric, along with a typing text and a holder for handwritten notes. He showed me how to type my stories so that I could submit them to a publisher. Before I took typing in school (they didn't teach it until High School in those days) I was typing my stories to send to Straight Magazine. (Yes, that was really the name of it! A reference to living a life on the straight and narrow path.) My first was published when I was only 14 years old, a result of his pull in getting the editor to come to our church camp, and making sure we got to visit a local prison, and then encouraging all of us to write about it. The editor picked my story and had me add quotes from all the others. It was a wonderful first experience, and after that nine more stories were published by this Christian youth magazine before I graduated from High School. Many of them were written because either Dad or Mom encouraged me to "Write about that" or said "That would make a good story."



Both my parents have shared their faith and life encouragement daily. I will always be grateful for their direct Christian teaching, obersavations as we were  navigating our growing up years, and their continual example of a faithful life.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.



Next I am grateful for the man I married, a good Christian man, who is a wonderful father to our daughter Amanda. He learned from the example of his father. From the day he became of father he has been a great one, fun, encouraging, and also a teacher. As our daughter has grown and married she is still close to her dad (and mom) and is a delight to be with. I can't help but think she inherited some of that fun disposition from her father.


Her Dad performed the marriage ceremony for our daughter and her husband. As you can see in the first wedding photo, he wasn't certain he'd be able to hold it together to do the ceremony. Amanda leaned over and gave him a hug and he pulled it together and did a beautiful job. At the end of the day it was a joyous and fun day for everyone.

Happy Father's Day, John.


He learned from his Dad as well, another fine Christian who has set an example for his children and grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. Happy Father's Day, Jack.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention my grandfathers. We are all part of the families we came from and carry their memories, their wisdom and the moments we were able to share with them in our hearts.


2 comments:

  1. What lovely thoughts and memories. Nice pics too.

    Tina Pinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's neat to see your family. Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete