Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Stephenia H. McGee on the secret to writing with preschool boys!

Is this completely out of imagination, or are there elements of your real life experience in the plot/characters?
Most of the story is out of my imagination. However, during his time at the ranch, Jim Anderson learns the art of natural horsemanship. This is a way of teaching horses by essentially learning to “speak” their language. Training horses this way has been a large part of my life. Because of back issues, it is something I no longer do, but I worked as a “horse teacher” for several years. In the story, you’ll see the bond that Jim has with his horse. It is definitely something I drew out of my own life and my relationship with my mare, Fancy.
Do you have a schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
I wish there was a schedule! I am a very schedule-oriented person. But I think God has a sense of humor, because the more I try to make schedules, the less I’m able to follow them. My best bet is that on Wednesdays I have a babysitter come for six solid hours so I can have time away from my precious, but rambunctious, preschool boys. If I don’t have any doctor or other appointments best done without the kids, this is the time I shut off the phone and hide away to get some real writing done. When I can get several hours without interruption, the story really flows.
How about the people you share space with. Do they know not to bother you when you are writing, or are there constant interruptions?
Constant interruptions!  But what else can you expect from a two and four year old? They like to be with me, and sometimes that makes doing any writing difficult. Most of the time I work when they have rest time each afternoon. This only gives me about an hour and a half, but I can be more productive then than at any other time of the day. For the most part, though, writing is done on Wednesdays.
What does your husband think of your writing? Do you ever ask for advice? Editing?
My husband is a huge support. He is the one that gently (and sometimes not so gently) pushed me to follow my dream of writing a book. He has gone to writer’s conferences with me, and he is always the first person I bounce ideas off of. He is also my first editor, and reads through my first drafts helping me see when things don’t make sense or flow right. He has also become somewhat of a marketing director as well! He took it upon himself to find a few people to do reviews and write about my book in print magazines that will be coming out in the next few months.

Buy today at http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-273/A-Legacy-of-Lies/Detail.bok
Where can readers find you on line?

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to the difficulty of finding writing time with little kids. I have one preschool boy, and I only manage to get writing in after he goes to bed at night, or snuck into the day in tiny spurts when he forgets that he's trying to distract me. LOL

    I've read your book, and it's a great novel. I hope you keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, I love reading your blog when you write about being an author as well as a stay at home momma. It always makes me laugh!
    Shaunna, thank you! She's my girl!

    ReplyDelete