Photobucket
Photobucket

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Dangerous Ties by Debra Parmer released today

Lynette: Well, Debra, the day is here. Your second book, Dangerous Ties, was released today. Tell us a little about it.
Debra: How about a short exerpt? Here is how the book opens:
Nevada 1860
Pain erased all sense of time. Lillian didn't know how long she'd hung, her muscles exhausted from the strain, her mind full of warnings she was helpless to do anything about.
Her throat was raw from screaming before Grady had gagged her. Now the cloth gag stuck to her dry tongue. She squinted through tired eyes at the pail of water sitting by the edge of the mineshaft. She could look right down into it, the water taunting her with how good it looked, how it would taste cool and refreshing as it slid over her tongue, down her throat. It would soothe her throat if she could just reach it.
But there was no hope of that.
They'd tied her up and left her to die of thirst. Lillian closed her eyes.
No, don't look at it. Don't think of it. Think of something else.
Pain shot from her broken right toe up her ankle and leg. The scent of burnt flesh still filled her nostrils. He'd seared the brand across the top of her breast. Memory lodged in her body where pain radiated along with heat, echoes of his laughter still ringing in her ears.
A single tear slipped out and ran down her cheek.
It hadn't mattered what he did to her or how relentless they were. She still couldn't tell them where the money was. She couldn't tell because she didn't know. And no amount of torture could change that one fact.
Lillian squeezed her eyes tight and prayed her lie had bought enough time to get away. Though how she'd ever get out of this she didn't know.
She had to get away before he returned, angrier than ever because she'd lied.
Mr. Thomas Shelton, her former fiancé, was probably well to California by now, and rich as the cream Lillian used to pour into her tea every afternoon. He'd done more than abandon her along with the promises he'd made to her. He'd left her to face the anger of everyone in town who he had robbed.

Lynette: Oh, WOW,  now I have to go and read it as soon as we are finished today. Sounds very intense.
If you could bring one character to life, who would it be and why?
Debra: My characters feel very real to me, and I love them all.  I think it would be great fun to have a dinner party and have them all show up.  But if I have to choose just one, I’d say the hero in the novel I am working on now.  His dark hair of his is just so touchable and those deep brown eyes… not to mention the way his voice makes my toes want to curl, and that slow smile when he gets that look in his eyes, makes me want to ….Oh,dear. *blush* (Now what were we talking about?  It is so hard to concentrate once he enters the room.)

Lynette: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
Debra: I think if we do the things that bring us joy, those things can never be the wrong things to do.  For me, the act of writing brings great joy.  If you, as an aspiring writer, have that joy in your writing, it is one thing you can hold onto when the hurricane winds come. And those winds do come. Beyond that, it takes a certain amount of persistence and drive to be published, along with a belief in yourself.                                                                                  I collect quotes, some of which you can find on my website and this is one of my favorites: “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make youfeel that you, too can become great.” – Mark Twain
I would add one thing.  Sometimes it is impossible to keep away from such small persons, and if so, you absolutely must ignore them.                       Lynette: Is there anything else that you would like to share with us?    Debra: Oh, yes! There are so many things I’m looking forward to!  My first novel, A Desperate Journey, is also available as an ebook   https://www.mybookstoreandmore.com/shop/product.da/a-desperate-journey
Please visit my website.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Debra, You know how to get the reader envolved immediately. I'd love to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, June! It's what I was aiming for, so it's good to hear that!

    Love,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read it! I got a sneak peek! Wow, this is a really good book! Great job Debra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great book! I got a sneak peek and wow what a great read. Nice job Debra, I'm looking forward to more of you books.

    ReplyDelete